Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wow... I just realized I started this book last year. No real updates, it's still in framework. It's like putting a bolt of fabric, a spool of thread and a needle on a table and mapping out every stitch before making a single cut. I guess when I put it that way it doesn't sound so outlandish... a seamstress needs a pattern, right? Well I have three books now. It's a trilogy. I haven't added any new characters for some time, so that makes me hopeful that at the very least my cast is complete. Every day I add details of the universe this book takes place in. Every day it becomes more familiar to our own but still very fantastical. There's no "magic" in these books.. there's no "Force" like in Star Wars. There are creatures, but they're not monsters. Today I posted on Facebook, "We now live in a fairy tale where we are our own dragon." It is a reflection on the evil we do to one-another and how out of control we are as a race. Our own worst enemies. We no longer need outside forces of fear for we manufacture our own troubles. This realization came to me sometime last summer when I defined how evil would be represented in my story. Another oft-spoken quote that illustrates it would be, "The only thing to fear is fear itself." Still there is optimism and whimsy. Absolutely. I may be angsty but I am still full of hope. There's a lot of good in the world.. God designed this world that we might interact with him through it. It is a mindblowingly lovely relationship that he offers us. Likewise there will be much hope and good in the book, and a deep reflection on relationship. Hope everyone who reads it finds it familiar to their own experience... or at the very least wants to.

No comments: